Fire gutted the Federal Character Commission, FCC, Headquarters, Abuja on Tuesday.
According to sources at the scene, who asked not to be named, the inferno was caused by wrong electrical installations at the Data Centre of the commission.
“A colleague had raised an alarm after noticing the heavy puffs of smoke oozing out of the the Data Centre.
“We the staff of the Management Information Systems (MIS) of the Commsion were not carried along by the Corporate Services Department who preferred direct labour for the on-going installation of Solar inverters in the Data Centre.
“I am sure the labourers must have made some wrong electrical connections somewhere within the Server room which led to the fire outbreak,” the source told DAILY POST.
Another source said: “We cannot ascertain the extent of damage at the moment because of the amount of choking smoke in the Data centre but we can tell that the fire wreaked a great damage.“
The Head of MIS at the Commission, Engr. Saleh Ahmadu, said that the fire initially defied attempts to quench it, but with the activation of the fire alarm system and the prompt response of the fire service, the inferno was put out.
He, however, said the Commission was awaiting detailed information on the extent of loss incurred as a result of the inferno but promised that details of the incident will be made available to the public as soon as it was ready.