It was all round tears, for residents of Bola Oyewo Street, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos State, on Sunday after two siblings identified as Olawale Akingbesote aged 4 and his brother, A desire, aged 2. were killed in a fire incident.

According to an eye-witness reports, the deceased, their elder brother and their mother were together around 9 pm on Saturday, the mother went out to buy some items in the neighbourhood after the children had gone to sleep.

She was said to have lit a candle to illuminate the apartment before leaving as there was the power outage.

It was told that while the mother was away, the candle burnt down and consumed a table it was placed on. It later spread to the clothes beside the table.

It was learnt that firefighters from the Lagos State Fire Service, officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and policemen from the Iju Police Division responded to distress calls from residents, but the two kids had died before help could come their way.

The unnamed elder brother was, however, rescued with the support of the residents, while the fire was eventually put out.

A resident, Moshood Ibrahim, said the fire had spread to other parts of the room before a neighbour became aware and raised the alarm.

He stated that the distraught mother and the survivor had temporarily relocated to a relative’s house.

He said, “Their mother went out that evening to quickly get some items on the street, but she returned late. The candle had burnt to some level before she left home. Her thinking was that she would come back early.

Please follow and like us:
160

Leave a Response